Groupon: $49 for Small-Pod or Small-Sphere EcoSphere Closed Aquatic Ecosystem ($79 List Price) Expires August 27, 2012.
The EcoSphere closed aquatic ecosystem is a result of technology developed by NASA scientists during a search to create self-contained communities and develop snow-globe societies. Each ecosystem teems with microorganisms, shrimp, algae, and bacteria that feed off, sustain, and organize movie nights with one another. The habitats require almost no maintenance, and can survive for up to two years in consistent temperatures (between 60 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit) and indirect light.
- Each EcoSphere contains active microorganisms, small shrimp, algae, and bacteria in filtered seawater
- Self-sustaining system only needs natural or artificial light
- 5.25-inch-tall pod or 4-inch-diameter sphere
- Requires virtually no maintenance, like a motorcycle made of dreams
- Has a life expectancy of two years
- Inspired by NASA space-station research
Expires August 27, 2012.